Tuesday 10 January 2017

How things have changed…

How things have changed…

Today (Tuesday) is my birthday, a big one – 40….and yesterday I woke to the news that just 10 years ago, Apple launched the iPhone. 

It got me thinking, how could something none of us had heard of 10 years ago, be such a part of our day to day lives now?  Also, I wondered, has anything else taken over in such a way?  I couldn’t think of anything, but I did think it might be fun to Google a few things about the events in each of the decade marking years of my life, to see what has gone on.
Look out for the Simpsons one – has it really been that long?…and Google, has it really only been that long?….

No real science in the selection, and lots of very significant events omitted, but I just picked some fun ones that stood out for me….

I wonder how many Starbucks open per week???
I wonder where the electric car would be now if Google or Apple had been a car manufacturer???

Enjoy…..

1977
  • World population est at 4.2 billion
  •  Apple Computer is incorporated.
  • The Atari 2600 home video game console is released.
  • Star Wars opens in cinemas

1987
  • World population est at 5 billion
  • Tommy Lee Andrews is the first person to be convicted as a result of DNA fingerprinting
  • The Simpsons cartoon first appears as a series of shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show.
  • InterCity 125 breaks world diesel powered train speed record reaching 238 km/h (147.88 mph)
  • Channel Tunnel digging commences
  • The first Starbucks Coffee stores outside Seattle are opened in Vancouver and Chicago.

1997
  • World population est at 5.8 billion
  • In Roslin, Scotland, scientists announce that an adult sheep named Dolly has been successfully cloned and was born in July 1996
  • The domain name for the web search engine Google is registered.
  • Steve Jobs returns to Apple Computer, Inc at Macworld in Boston.
  • Microsoft buys a $150 million share of financially troubled Apple Computer.
  • The Toyota Prius, the first hybrid vehicle to go into full production, is unveiled in Japan on October 24

2007
  • World population est at 6.6 billion
  • Apple Inc.'s first iPhone smartphone is announced by Steve Jobs at Macworld in San Francisco
  • The New Wembley stadium is completed

2017
  •  World population est at 7.4 billion
  • I wonder….

No comments:

Post a Comment